Neevon Esmaili, M.D.
Adult, Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist
“I entered the medical field with the intent to become a psychiatrist and take pride in providing the highest level of care to my patients. I have a passion for clinical care and dedication to providing a safe and therapeutic environment. My time spent with each patient is not only focused on psychotropic medication management but in providing therapy based treatment. Getting to know my patients and their needs inspires me.”
Dr. Esmaili has a special interest in the intersection of physical illness and mental health. Having spent time researching medical disorders that could cause psychiatric symptoms, Dr. Esmaili has a breadth of knowledge in this specialized area.
Approaching a case from a mind-body health perspective involves understanding the potential for an existing medical condition to affect mood and behavior, the impact that current medications have on the mind, and detecting a previously undiagnosed physical condition that could be creating or exacerbating psychiatric symptoms.
Dr. Esmaili always keeps in mind that the diagnostic possibilities of a patient with mood and behavior complaints include medical and neurological conditions as well as mental health issues. Being a physician trained in medicine as a foundation and having specialized in mental health, Dr. Esmaili has a unique perspective to bring to the assessment of mental health concerns.
- Two Board Certifications in Adult Psychiatry and Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Harbor-University of California Los Angeles, named Chief Fellow.
- Trained in Adult Psychiatry at the University of Southern California, earned the resident research award and was a graduate education committee representative involved in shaping curriculum.
- Attended Medical school at the State University of New York Downstate Health Science Center at Brooklyn.
- Attended the University of California, Berkeley, graduating with a major in neurobiology as well as a minor in theatre and performance studies.
- Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry & the Behavioral Sciences (Voluntary) at the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California*
- Co-Author of a literature review paper published in a peer reviewed journal on ketamine abuse and diversion.
(Read Journal Article Here)
- Published a case report on the management of a patient with a brain tumor and mental illness in the American Journal of Psychiatry Residents Journal.
(Read Report Here)
- Presented research findings on medical disorders in adult psychiatric outpatients at the American Psychosomatic Society annual meeting on a travel scholarship.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Medical Association
- Practicing as a medically licensed physician since 2011.
- Practicing as a Board Certified Adult Psychiatrist since 2013.
- Practicing as a Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist since 2014.
*Mental Fitness Clinic is not affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California