Neevon Esmaili, M.D.
Adult, Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist
“I entered the medical field with the intent to become a psychiatrist and take pride in providing the highest level of care to my patients. I have a passion for clinical care and dedication to providing a safe and therapeutic environment. My time spent with each patient is not only focused on psychotropic medication management but in providing therapy based treatment. Getting to know my patients and their needs inspires me.”
Dr. Esmaili works with adults, children, adolescents and athletes of all ages. He always keeps in mind that the diagnostic possibilities of a patient with mood and behavior complaints include medical and neurological conditions as well as mental health issues. Additionally, trying to find contributing factors such as relationship stress, bullying or negative work environments and motivating to make changes where needed is also vital to recovery.
Dr. Esmaili has had longstanding and extensive experience working with children outside the clinical setting including being a camp counselor, little League coach, volunteering at a children’s hospital as a college student, and tutoring at the grade school level. His joy of working with youth and passion for mental health blend as a child & adolescent psychiatrist.
Dr. Esmaili has a passion for providing care for athletes of all levels and ages as a certified sports psychiatrist. Having personal sports experience allows him to understand the pressures and unique psychology and environment the athlete competes in. His approach with sports cases include maximizing potential in competition with mindfulness, cognitive behavior therapy, supportive psychotherapy, and when indicated, psychopharmacology, with special attention to ensuring that side effects do not impact performance, safety considerations and doping medication guidelines are strictly adhered to.
- Two Board Certifications in Adult Psychiatry and Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Harbor-University of California Los Angeles, named Chief Fellow.
- Trained in Adult Psychiatry at the University of Southern California, earned the resident research award and was a graduate education committee representative involved in shaping curriculum.
- International Society for Sports Psychiatry Certificate of Additional Training in Sports Psychiatry
- Attended Medical school at the State University of New York Downstate Health Science Center at Brooklyn.
- Attended the University of California, Berkeley, graduating with a major in neurobiology as well as a minor in theatre and performance studies.
- Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry & the Behavioral Sciences (Voluntary) at the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California*
- Co-Author of a literature review paper published in a peer reviewed journal on ketamine abuse and diversion.
(Read Journal Article Here)
- Published a case report on the management of a patient with a brain tumor and mental illness in the American Journal of Psychiatry Residents Journal.
(Read Report Here)
- Presented research findings on medical disorders in adult psychiatric outpatients at the American Psychosomatic Society annual meeting on a travel scholarship.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Medical Association
- Practicing as a medically licensed physician since 2011.
- Practicing as a Board Certified Adult Psychiatrist since 2013.
- Practicing as a Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist since 2014.
*Mental Fitness Clinic is not affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California